Effective Team Building Ideas Using the Outdoors
Use of the outdoor environment and the tasks given demand a degree of concentration and commitment which cannot be experienced with classroom training alone. This is why outdoor team building is such an effective means of developing staff. Training courses can be forgettable, but outdoor team building training courses have the power to inspire people who then not only remember the learning but transfer it to the workplace and spread the word.
Innovative Outdoor Team Building or the same old thing again?
Classroom-based chalk and talk courses are common with delegates often being subjected to mediocre courses and uninspiring trainers. Faced with this onslaught, sitting in a classroom listening to a trainer our brains effectively turn off and go to sleep and expensive training courses quickly become forgotten.
This isn’t just conjecture. In our brains is something called the reticular activating system. Its job is to filter all the sensory stimuli coming in and decide what we should focus our attention on at any particular moment. It’s at the heart of the reason why experiential learning is such an effective medium as opposed to classroom learning alone.
In 2012 94.1% of our customers rated their experience with us as good or excellent in terms of their overall experience and value for money
Confucius said, ” I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand.”
This is Adventure Britain’s philosophy to delivering behavioural change in the workplace through improving individuals performance. All our outdoor team building courses adopt this approach. The “I do I understand” principle is the one we follow. By doing real tasks in a real world outdoor environment delegates not only understand but retain that learning. Delegates are willing to take on new challenges without the the normal threat of failure as they are not in a work environment. This experiential learning underpins our approach.
We seek to provide the often missing link between classroom based and outdoor team building. Our programmes are structured to offer indoor workshops on team and leadership theory linked to an outdoor element to test and develop those theories. They are designed to be fun and productive. Above all they are inclusive so nobody is alienated or intimated by the tasks and challenges. They are not designed to humiliate but rather to develop teamwork and create a supportive environment for participants to learn and develop greater self-confidence in themselves and their colleagues.
Why Use Us for Outdoor Team Building
- National Business Tourism Company of the Year 2011/2012
- National Team Building of the Year 2008/2009
- Welsh Small Business of the Year 2008/2009
- Institute of Leadership & Management Accredited Centre – ILM
- Our own 70 acre training centre in the Brecon Beacons
- Accessible – On main line from London Paddington & 20 minutes off M4
- Ability to deliver outdoor team building across the UK
- Transfer of learning to the workplace for improved performance
- Individuals explore and develop their own capabilities
- Create high performing teams
What Our Clients Say
“Our demands were high and every time I gave Call of the Wild’s Adventure Britain an objective – something that needed to happen – not only did they meet that but surpassed it by addding their own value throughout the process.
Not only did Alstom enjoy that event but they subsequently booked another four.”
What We Offer
- All inclusive events including full board accommodation – We seek to make the booking process as easy as possible for the event organiser
- Choice of event ranging from just fun days to events with specific learning outcomes
- Extensive choice of single day activities
- Range of options from single day activities to longer duration events
- Themed events such as Pirate Island, James Bond, Camel Trophy to name but a few
- Institute of Leadership & Management accredited courses available
Outdoor Team Building Photo Gallery
Here are some photos illustrating our outdoor team building events. This is a sample of the full range of outdoor events we can offer. We can also deliver indoor events and programmes